In 1939, an enthusiastic group of about 60 “cottagers” convened to receive the recommendations of a committee for the organization of a private country club in Blowing Rock. The committee recommended the construction of a clubhouse, swimming pool, tennis courts, and a separate building for golf quarters. The golf course already in play was known as the Green Park Norwood Golf Course.
In 1940, the ground-breaking ceremonies for the newly formed Blowing Rock Country Club were held and construction of the three-floored clubhouse was completed 182 days later. A grand affair was held on July 4th, 1941 marking the formal opening day of the club.
For the next thirty-three years, thousands upon thousands of memorable events took place at the Country Club. Hundreds of world famous Metropolitan Opera stars appeared to benefit the Blowing Rock Hospital and First Lady, Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, was honored at a tea here in 1947.
In January of 1973, the club bought the golf course, added nine holes and renovated the original nine. The rustic, beautiful clubhouse was also enlarged and renovated in 1973 only to be destroyed by a fire a year later. The tragic fire of 1974 burned the original clubhouse to the ground, but plans to rebuild were quickly put into action. On October 17th, 1974, twenty-six days after the fire, work was begun clearing the site for construction of a brand new clubhouse.
The goal was to re-open the following spring with a new clubhouse that members could be proud of. The design of the new clubhouse combined traditional detailing with sunny contemporary spaces. The huge stone fireplace, vast expanses of glass, crafted wood moldings, and shake roofs were all incorporated into the design. To retain some of the flavor of the old clubhouse, the original stone pillars were included in the arcaded porch of the new building. The grand opening of the newly constructed clubhouse was held on June 14th, 1975. The ribbon was cut and the flag was raised, setting the stage for a summer and years to come filled with fellowship and great memories.